Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Taking it slow and thinking


Taking it slow was the order of the last week. A cup of coffee, a double chocolate muffin and a whole day of sunshine. They added up to a beautiful, slow and deeply refreshing day. It would have been better if I'd have had my coffee shop friend (not in the Dutch manner!) there with me, but she chose to move away, so I had to enjoy it by myself. Which I did.

I read this today:

"The Hebrew Talmud says: 'Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because God counts her tears. The woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior. But from the side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved.' "

I love it. I feel like shouting it at all those blokes who say things like "what do you expect for a rib?" Only it is too long to quip back and why gratify them with the idea that I might entertain the thought of them being equal to me? But then I suppose they are, we are equal, just not the same. That is good too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment